Saturday, January 23, 2010

Operation Beautiful


Sometimes, girls (of all ages) need to be reminded of how amazing they are.  Operation Beautiful is on a mission to tell girls that they are perfect just the way they are.  You post anonymous notes in public places for other women to find.  A random act of kindness.  When I learned about this a few weeks ago, I knew that I wanted to become involved and help spread the beauty everywhere I went.

I figured the best place to start is the high school I teach at.  Teenage girls definitely need a self-esteem boost, especially with the media's perception of beauty that they are constantly bombarded with.  I hear the girls talk and I know that this is definitely the place that could use some positive reminders.

So, I decided that in order to stay as anonymous as possible, I had to get the notes up when no one was at school.  A Saturday of a 3 day weekend sounded like the perfect time.  There are 8 girls bathrooms and I got to all of them.  I was in and out quickly and quietly.  All the notes will be up when we go back to school Monday morning.  Mission accomplished.

 

In putting up notes that said things like, "You are perfect just the way you are", "You are loved" and "You are beautiful", it was also a good reminder for me.  Not only did I feel good about what I was doing for others, I also just felt good about myself.  I felt beautiful.  It was exhilarating.

 

I suggest everyone grab a stack of post-its and go attack women's restrooms at restaurants, stores, movie theaters, the women's locker room at the gym and at schools...  Anywhere you go, leave a positive message behind for the next girl who looks into that reflection.  Spread the beauty.  Your beauty.



♥∞, 

~B

"Happiest girls are the prettiest." --Audrey Hepburn 

No comments:

Post a Comment