Friday, December 31, 2010

My Favorite Things: The 2010 Recap

This year felt like one long episode of Oprah's Favorite Things.  Except it was MY favorite things that I was giving away and MY favorite people and causes that I was giving to.  Not quite as flashy as Oprah's but the intention behind the giving was the same.  LOVE.    

And in the process, I learned so much about myself and the way the Universe works.  Do good and good comes back to you.  It's the Law isn't it?  So simple.  What you put out comes back to you.  Well, if I needed evidence of that, this year it was shown to me over and over again.  Every day.  Not that anyone should give to get.  It's just inherent in the nature of giving. 

My favorite of all things to give is time.  Donating time/volunteering changed my life and gave me more than I could imagine or give back.  Not only did I meet some of my greatest new friends volunteering but some of my favorite days and moments of my year life happened on those days.  My life will never be the same after this year.  

I have new like-minded friends, causes I care passionately about, new favorite places, a changed perspective on the nature of the world and a new direction in life.  I now know more about myself and what I want to do with the rest of my days.  I want to make giving my full-time job.  Up until now, I have done everything I ever wanted to do since I was a little girl.  I crafted the life of my dreams.  But somehow, after this year, it no longer feels like mine.  The causes I have dedicated myself to, and giving every day, are now what I want to do.  So I plan on creating a new life based on giving.  I am going to take a leap of faith, follow my heart and create the new life of my dreams.  (More on that to come!)

Now for the re-cap of my favorite moments of this year:

1.  Operation Beautiful - I think self-esteem is the key to changing the world.  You have to fearlessly be yourself and love yourself for it.  Only then can you really begin to give to the world.  Change yourself to change the world.  The world will become as you are.


2.  My mom's first tattoo - Still as beautiful as the day she got it!


3.  Jewelry - I continue to make jewelry for all my loved ones and that jewelry continues to bring them good luck.  It's crazy the things that have happened to them shortly after receiving their piece.  Found the love of their lives, were gifted thousands of dollars, found a new path in life...  All true stories.


4.  Volunteer days with Animal Acres & Sea Shepherd - Beautiful days surrounded by compassionate hearts.  World Fest, Compassionate Cooking Event, The Great Shark Affaire, 4th of July Pignic and all the non-event work days.  Some of the best days ever.


5.  India - My incredible adventure in India with VegNews Magazine and VegVoyages.  Even though I loved all the time we gave, our day at Animal Aid Udaipur was by far one of the greatest days giving love.  Animal Aid does incredible work for animals and the ones I met that day, I will never forget.  I absolutely promise to return again. 


6.  The Freedom Awards -  I had the incredible opportunity to volunteer with Free The Slaves for the 2010 Freedom Awards after-party, Freedom Rocks.  Their mission is to end slavery worldwide and the awards celebrate heroes of the anti-slavery movement.  It was an amazing night and I hope to continue working with Free The Slaves in the future.


7.  Slaughterhouse Memorial -  My hometown is factory farm central.  Feedlots surround the city and there is a major slaughterhouse just minutes away from my childhood home.  Over Christmas weekend my mom and I decided to set up a memorial for the lives that are so often forgotten.  I created 2 memorial posters with pictures and fresh flowers.  At midnight on 12/26, we headed out.  What we felt, I can't even describe.  Or what we saw...  It was an unforgettable experience that will stay with us forever.  But we were so proud of ourselves for dropping off our messages of love, dedicated to the beautiful souls who lose their lives every minute of every day.


I have many more favorite moments but I picked 7 because it is my favorite number/lucky number.  Can't wait to see what 2011 has store.  I feel like this year has inspired me to give even more next year.  That's right, the giving will continue.  Forever.  It has become part of my life.  So much that there is no need to plan or worry about what to give, it just happens.  Naturally.  Every day.  

Happy New Year!

♥∞,

~B
"The more one forgets himself by giving himself to a cause, or another person to love - the more he actualizes himself." --Viktor Frankl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment